Monday, June 1, 2009

Goodbye for now

My grandma has been in a home for the past several years. She had Alzheimer's Disease. This was a very hard disease for her because for years she knew that she was getting progressively worse. It was hard to imagine my spunky grandma with such a terrible disease. She has always been so funny and full of life. Her life was spent serving others. She was loved by everyone that knew her and was a wonderful example to me. I have so many fond childhood memories of her and of spending time with her at her home in California. My grandpa has been gone for 26 years and she never thought she would live this long without him. The last few years have been hard because the disease had progressed to the point that she didn't know people and didn't do anything but sit in a chair or lay in bed. She didn't speak and couldn't eat on her own. She is finally free from her mortal body and has been reunited with her sweetheart and all of her family that has gone before her. I can't even imagine the reunion going on in heaven! She was 94 years old. Last weekend we traveled to Santaquin, Utah to attend the graveside service for her. My dad and uncle made some remarks and then my dad dedicated the grave. After the service we all went to a park in Provo and had lunch and spent hours visiting with cousins, aunts and uncles. It was a great reunion. I have missed my grandma for a long time and will miss her always. But I'm so happy for her and I'm so glad to have so many wonderful memories of her.

The grandsons and great-grandsons were the pallbearers
My boys with their great grandma in 2001
My girls with their great grandma in 2002

5 comments:

  1. I love the pictures of the kids with her. How priceless are those!!!!!! This week has made us all appreciate the gospel! Huh? Can you imagine going through your grandma's death and mom's ordeal with out the gospel. You are an angel in the Lott family!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great testimony of faith and eternal families. It's hard to have our loved ones leave us...but it is harder to watch them become trapped in their bodies. Now your grandma can be the angel she truly is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. But it sure is nice to think about the reunion in heaven! Those pictures are cute. I hope your family is doing well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could have been there for the funeral. I love those pictures of the kids with Grandma. I remember that trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always great to have all those wonderful memories. Sorry to hear about her passing. I love all the pictures. It's funny because that is exactly how I remember Ashley, in that last picture. I saw it and had some memories come flying back. I was so happy to visit Mary Ette the other day. She is such a wonderful lady. We just love her. Hope all is well with your family. You're all in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete